You’re ready to go for it—and we’re here to get you there. Our 25-week Marathon Training Program has helped hundreds of experienced and first-time marathon runners safety achieve their goal. Prepare yourself for a simultaneously challenging and intensely rewarding experience that will leave you with some amazing bragging rights.
This training program is best suited for runners who are already running 20 miles a week and have previously completed a half marathon.
2017 Surf City Marathon Training Schedule 2017 OC Marathon Training Schedule 2017 Mountains2Beach Training Schedule 2017 LA MARATHON TRAINING SCHEDULERead more about our LA Marathon Training Program here
|1||4 miles||6 miles|
|2||5 miles||7 miles|
|3||6 miles||8 miles|
|4||7 miles||9 miles|
|5||8 miles||10 miles|
|6||9 miles||8 miles|
|7||10 miles||12 miles|
|8||8 miles||8 miles|
|9||12 miles||14 miles|
|10||8 miles||8 miles|
|11||14 miles||16 miles|
|12||10 miles||10 miles|
|13||16 miles||18 miles|
|14||10 miles||10 miles|
|15||12 miles||12 miles|
|16||18 miles||20 miles|
|17||10 miles||10 miles|
|18||12 miles||12 miles|
|19||20 miles||22 miles|
|20||10 miles||10 miles|
|21||12 miles||12 miles|
|22||22 miles||24 miles|
|23||10 miles||10 miles|
|24||18 miles||18 miles|
|25||8 miles||8 miles|
|*Beginner = 0-3 half marathons|
|**Advanced = 4+ past half marathons|
|Monday:||Alternative Exercise 40 min.|
|Tuesday:||Run at least 40 min.|
|Wednesday:||Cross Train 45-60 minutes|
|Thursday:||Run at least 40 min.|
Marathoners meet at the general all-club meetup at 7am on Saturday mornings. Mid-week runs are on your own, but you’ll frequently find other Marathoners out at the Rose Bowl on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Check our calendar to verify specific location and time as conflicts occasionally cause a change in location.
What to Bring
As with any Pacer program or run, all you need is a water bottle and some comfortable running shoes. We also recommend a sports watch or phone with a run tracker app (loads of Pacers are on Strava or Garmin), but it is by no means required.
In order to get the most out of your training, we have these recommendations to keep you motivated and enjoying your workouts:
- Always consult your healthcare provider before beginning any exercise program.
- Always run at your own pace. A benefit of running with a training group like the Pre-Conditioners is that there’s probably someone else running at your pace so you’ll have company to help keep you going.
- If you feel any pain while running, stop immediately and let your coach know.
- Set goals for yourself and track your progress. Do you have a target time for completing a 5-mile run? Maybe you want to register for a 5K race scheduled after the end of the Pre-Conditioners program?
- Find a partner for your workouts. One of your fellow Pacers might be the perfect candidate. You’ll keep one another motivated and take your mind off the hard work! Use the club Facebook page to find and stay in touch with running partners.
- Stretch after your workout when your muscles are warm to help your body recover.
- Midweek alternate or cross-training workouts help balance your training by engaging different muscles. These workouts can take the form of just about anything; yoga, biking, weight training, and walking are all great!
- Follow the rules of the road.