The Pacer Pre-Conditioners Training Program will get you from couch to five miles in 12 weeks. Whether you’re new to running or coming back to the sport after taking time off, the Pre-Conditioners will give you a great base for recreational running or to train for longer distances and races. We start off slow—with intervals of running for one minute, then walking for five—and gradually build your running intervals as you get stronger.
At the end of the Pre-Conditioners program you’ll be in shape for running on a regular basis, for finishing a 5K, and for continuing on to other Pacers programs.
Click on the links below to see the training for each cycle.
Current Cycle: (Virtual Only)August 15 - October 31,: Training Schedule- Pre-Conditioners - August 2020
Below are some useful articles. Read one, two, or all, when you have a chance.
|week 1||1 min||5 min||30 min|
|week 2||2 min||4 min||30 min|
|week 3||3 min||3 min||30 min|
|week 4||4 min||2 min||30 min|
|week 5||5 min||1 min||30 min|
|week 6||5 min||1 min||36 min|
|week 7||5 min||1 min||42 min|
|week 8||5 min||1 min||48 min|
|week 9||5 min||1 min||54 min|
|week 10||5 min||1 min||60 min|
|week 11||5 min||1 min||66 min|
|week 12||5 min||1 min||5 mile run!|
|Tuesday:||Run/walk 20-30 min (weeks 1-6); 30-40 min (weeks 7-12)|
|Thursday:||Run/walk 20-30 min (weeks 1-6); 30-40 min (weeks 7-12)|
CURRENT TRAINING INFORMATION — Due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Refer to the COVID-19 Information for more detailed information. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the Pre-Conditioners training is conducted virtually only.
Please join our private Facebook Page to get detailed information about training each week, see participants’ posts, get invited to events, and more. Join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/preconditioners
NON-COVID MEETUP INFORMATION (subject to change)
Pre-Conditioners meet at the general all-club meetup at 7:00 on Saturday mornings. Mid-week runs are on your own, but you’ll frequently find other Pre-Conditioners out at the Rose Bowl on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Training groups meet just south of the Rose Bowl Aquatics Center on the south end of Lot I. Check the Pacers calendar to verify specific location and time as conflicts occasionally cause a change in location.
Pre-Conditioners – May 2019
What to Bring
As with any Pacer program or run, all you need is a water bottle and some comfortable running shoes. We also recommend a sports watch or phone with a run tracker app (loads of Pacers are on Strava or Garmin), but it is by no means required.
In order to get the most out of your training, we have these recommendations to keep you motivated and enjoying your workouts:
- Always consult your healthcare provider before beginning any exercise program.
- Always run at your own pace. A benefit of running with a training group like the Pacers is that there’s probably someone else running at your pace so you’ll have company to help keep you going.
- If you feel any pain while running, stop immediately and let your coach/team doctor know.
- Set goals for yourself and track your progress. For example, signing up for a 5K race after the program’s competition can help keep you motivated.
- Find a partner for your workouts. One of your fellow Pacers might be the perfect candidate. You’ll keep one another motivated and take your mind off the hard work!
- Midweek cross training helps balance your training by engaging different muscles. These workouts can take the form of just about anything; yoga, biking, weight training, and walking are all great.
- Stretch after your workout when your muscles are warm to help your body recover.