Everything to know about The Mile 20 Cheer Station at the 2023 LA Marathon
Thank you for volunteering for the Pacers 20 Mile Cheer Station on Sunday, March 19th! Your time, talents, donations, and support of fellow runners and walkers are greatly appreciated. Below is a summary that should provide you with all the information that you need. If you have any questions or need more details, please contact Monica at 626-825-5447 or send an email to: email@example.com.
For LAM runners/walkers: Please share this information with your family and friends who plan to go to the Pacers 20 Mile Cheer Station. Please see the LA Marathon News post with race day information (e.g., start line, drop bag, group photo) for LAM participants, in case you missed it. If you volunteered to donate items to the 20 Mile Cheer Station, please bring your items to one of our meetups before LAM or give your items to a family member or friend to bring on race day. Good luck – run, you Pacer, run! See you at mile 20.2.
CHEER STATION LOCATION
1640 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025, near the corner of Massachusetts Ave., a block away from Santa Monica Blvd. (We will be on the East Side of the Street.)
WHEN TO ARRIVE AND SCHEDULE
Sunday, March 19th, 2023
- Setup team should arrive by 5:00 am.
- Early risers can arrive around 5:30 am to help with early tasks.
- All other volunteers should arrive by 7:00 am.
5:00 am – 7:00 am: Set up tents, and tables, and start preparing food and drinks for runners.
7:00 am – 8:30 am: Welcome and brief introduction, volunteer group photo, set up food/drink and medical, warm-up run (especially for those running runners to the Cheer Station), and more. Cheering starts around 8:30 am when Wheelchair and Elite Runners start passing by.
8:30 am – 1:00 pm: Cheer, serve food and drink, take photos, provide medical care, run runners to the Cheer Station, etc.
1:00 pm – 2:00 pm: Break down tents, clean up, and support runners/walkers. Some volunteers stay until all runners/walkers pass by our Cheer Station – the runners/walkers “in the back” love that we are still there cheering and providing support for them.
WHAT TO WEAR
- Wear Pacers gear (e.g., shirt, hat/visor, jacket). Volunteers who do not have Pacers shirts can wear red shirts. We want runners/walkers to see a sea of red at mile 20.
- Volunteers running runners to the Cheer Station should be dressed to run – remember your running shoes, hydration pack, etc. You may also want your watch/phone to track your mileage for the day.
- Since it will probably be cool early in the morning and will warm up during the day, you may want to wear layers of clothes or a change of clothes.
WHAT TO BRING
Here’s a checklist – Pacers like checklists:
- We have a signup sheet at the table for items we can use at the cheer station. Please bring those items to any of our meetups and indicate it’s for LA Marathon, or feel free to bring it with you on race day.
- A special food item or drink that your family member or friend running the race requested that you bring (you know who you are and what they asked for).
- Cheer signs and/or cowbells, if you want your own. Some signs and cowbells will be provided.
- Cellphone to track your favorite runners, take awesome photos, etc. And a phone charger/backup battery since it’s a long day. Tracking app is: Active Experience
- A refillable bottle to help you stay hydrated and snacks or treats for yourself and/or to share with some other volunteers.
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, a visor/cap/hat, lip balm, etc., since our area will have limited sun protection.
- A chair if you want to be guaranteed a seat when you want to sit.
- Camera, if you like.
- Whatever else you need for being outside and away from home for a good part of the day (e.g., medications, contact lens solution, personal wipes, phone backup battery).
There will be some refreshments for volunteers. However, if you have food restrictions, allergies, a special diet, or are very selective in what you eat, please bring your food.
Please anticipate traffic due to street closures that will begin as early as the night before race day.
FROM WHITTIER take the 605 NORTH, to the 60 West, merge to the 10 west, take the 405 North, and take Exit 55 A – Santa Monica Blvd. Note that your GPS may not include all road closures, so you may need to adjust your drive accordingly. Cheer Station address: 1640 S. Sepulveda Blvd., Los Angeles (please note, that exit will close at 4:45am)
If arriving by 5:00 am, you may be able to access the Bad News Bears Field parking lot, 11173 Ohio Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90025.
If arriving after 5 am, street parking is suggested. Please read the signs carefully and pay attention to the parking signs to avoid a parking ticket. Note that if signs indicate that a permit is required all day or on Sunday mornings, do NOT park there – race day is unfortunately not a parking holiday and the parking patrols are active on race day.
CONTACT FOR VOLUNTEERS
Call or text Monica Bobadilla 626-825-5447