Thank you for volunteering for the Pacers 20 Mile Cheer Station on Sunday, March 8! Your time, talents, donations, and support of fellow runners and walkers are greatly appreciated. Below is a summary that should provide you with all the information that you need. If you have any questions or need more details, please send an email to: email@example.com.
For LAM runners/walkers: Please share this information with your family and friends who plan to go to the Pacers 20 Mile Cheer Station. Here’s the link to the Big Ol’ post with race day information (e.g., shuttle to the start line, drop bag, group photo) for LAM participants, in case you missed it. If you volunteered to donate items to the 20 Mile Cheer Station, please bring your items to a Saturday morning meetup before LAM or give your items to a family member or friend to bring on race day. Good luck – run, you Pacer, run! See you at mile 20.2.
CHEER STATION LOCATION
1559 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025, near the corner of Massachusetts Ave., a block away from Santa Monica Blvd.)
WHEN TO ARRIVE AND SCHEDULE
Sunday, March 8, 2020
- Setup team should arrive by 5:00 am.
- Early risers can arrive around 5:30 am to help with early tasks.
- All other volunteers should arrive by 7:00 am.
5:00 am – 7:00 am: Set up tents, tables, and start preparing food and drinks for runners.
7:00 am – 8:30 am: Welcome and brief introduction, volunteer group photo, set up food/drink and medical, warm up run (especially for those running runners to the Cheer Station), and more. Cheering starts around 8:30 am, when Wheelchair and Elite Runners start passing by.
8:30 am – 1:00 pm: Cheer, serve food and drink, take photos, provide medical care, run runners to the Cheer Station, etc.
1:00 pm – 2:00 pm: Break down tents, clean up, and support runners/walkers. Some volunteers stay until all runners/walkers pass by our Cheer Station – the runners/walkers “in the back” love that we are still there cheering and providing support for them.
Saturday, March 14, 2020
8:30 am – 11:30am: LAM Celebration Breakfast: Continue the fun from LAM day. Time to celebrate LAM runners, volunteers, and supportive family and friends. Eat, listen to stories, cheer for the amazing accomplishments of runners and volunteers alike, and more. Read more about the event and sign up here.
WHAT TO WEAR
- Wear Pacers gear (e.g., shirt, hat/visor, jacket). Volunteers who do not have Pacers shirts can wear red shirts. We want runners/walkers to see a sea of red at mile 20.
- Volunteers running runners to the Cheer Station should be dressed to run – remember your running shoes, hydration pack, etc. You may also want your watch/phone to track your mileage for the day.
- Since it will probably be cool early in the morning and will warm up during the day, you may want to wear layers of clothes or a change of clothes.
WHAT TO BRING
Here’s a checklist – Pacers like checklists:
- The items that you volunteered on the Volunteer page/signup sheet to bring (e.g., chips, hot coffee, pickles, paper towel). Here’s the link to the Volunteer page – you can check to see what you already volunteered to bring, volunteer to bring something now, or contribute money towards the Cheer Station expenses.
- A special food item or drink that your family member or friend running the race requested that you bring (you know who you are and what they asked for).
- Cheer signs and/or cowbells, if you want your own. Some signs and cowbells will be provided.
- Cellphone to track your favorite runners, to take awesome photos, etc. And a phone charger/backup battery, since it’s a long day.
- A refillable bottle to help you stay hydrated and snacks or treats for yourself and/or to share with some other volunteers.
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, a visor/cap/hat, lip balm, etc., since our area will have limited sun protection.
- A chair, if you want to be guaranteed a seat when you want to sit.
- Camera, if you like.
- Metro Card, if you plan to take the Metro to Santa Monica to meet runners after they finish or to visit the finish line area.
- Whatever else you need for being outside and away from home for a good part of the day (e.g., medications, contact lens solution, personal wipes, phone backup battery).
There will be some refreshments for volunteers. However, if you have food restrictions, allergies, special diet, or are very selective in what you eat, please bring your own food.
Please anticipate traffic due to street closures that will begin as early as the night before race day.
FROM PASADENA take the 110 SOUTH, to the 10 West, to the 405 North, and take Exit 55 A – Santa Monica Blvd. Note that your GPS may not include all road closures, so you may need to adjust your drive accordingly. Cheer Station address: 1559 S. Sepulveda Blvd., Los Angeles
Anyone interested in carpooling, please sign up for “Interested in Carpooling” at the bottom of the March 8 event’s Volunteer page.
If arriving by 5:00 am, you may be able to access the Bad News Bears Field parking lot, 11173 Ohio Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90025.
If arriving after 5 am, street parking is suggested. Please read signs carefully and pay attention to the parking signs to avoid a parking ticket. Note that if signs indicate that a permit is required all days or on Sunday mornings, do NOT park there – race day is unfortunately not a parking holiday and the parking patrols are active on race day.
CONTACT FOR VOLUNTEERS
Call or text Carol Rader-Meislin at 973-865-4348.
TO VIEW OR PRINT THE PDF VERSION OF THIS POST