Escape the road and venture into nature. Trail running is more than just beautiful scenery since running on them improves your leg strength and aerobic base. Trail runs tend to be slower paced, but these workouts make you a more well-rounded runner and can increase your speed and endurance. Plus, it’s just really pretty in the woods.Schedule
(Schedule is for 30k)
0-3 half marathons
4+ past half marathons
|week 1||3 miles||8 miles|
|week 2||4 miles||9 miles|
|week 3||5 miles||10 miles|
|week 4||6 miles||12 miles|
|week 5||7 miles||10 miles|
|week 6||8 miles||13 miles|
|week 7||9 miles||12 miles|
|week 8||10 miles||15 miles|
|week 9||11 miles||16 miles|
|week 10||14 miles||18 miles|
|week 11||16 miles||16 miles|
|week 12||9 miles||9 miles|
|Monday:||Cross Train 45-60 mins|
|Tuesday:||Run/Strength 4 miles (Week 12: 3 miles)|
|Wednesday:||Yoga/Swim 45-60 minutes|
|Thursday:||Run/Strength 4 miles (Week 12: rest)|
What to Bring
As with any Pacer program or run, all you need is a water bottle and some comfortable running shoes. We also recommend a sports watch or phone with a run tracker app (loads of Pacers are on Strava or Garmin), but it is by no means required.
In order to get the most out of your training, we have these recommendations to keep you motivated and enjoying your workouts:
- Always consult your healthcare provider before beginning any exercise program.
- Always run at your own pace. A benefit of running with a training group like the Pacers is that there’s probably someone else running at your pace so you’ll have company to help keep you going.
- If you feel any pain while running, stop immediately and let your coach/team doctor know.
- Set goals for yourself and track your progress. For example, signing up for a 5K race after the program’s competition can help keep you motivated.
- Find a partner for your workouts. One of your fellow Pacers might be the perfect candidate. You’ll keep one another motivated and take your mind off the hard work!
- Midweek cross training helps balance your training by engaging different muscles. These workouts can take the form of just about anything; yoga, biking, weight training, and walking are all great.
- Stretch after your workout when your muscles are warm to help your body recover.